Bicycle trunk bags are useful for mountain biking, day trips with your cycle club or recreational cycling on your own with space for tools, spare tube, lunch, etc. Some cyclists also use them along with two rear panniers when bicycle touring.
A bicycle trunk bags sits on top of your rear rack. What style you prefer will depend on your needs but I have provided some suggestions below.
What to look for when purchasing bicycle trunk bags:
- One good size main compartment
- Pockets on the side for snacks. If they can be zippered, even better
- Expandable top in case you pick something up in an interesting shop along the way
- Bungee tie down on top. This is the one feature I use on almost every ride as it tends to warm up throughout the day and I can just tuck my jacket there
- Retractable side bags give your bicycle trunk bags a lot of flexibility when riding
- Reflective strips or rear reflector are found on some models
- Mounting to your bicycle should be quick and secure
Displayed below is a selection of bicycle trunk bags from trusted brands, check them out.